I suck at building coils

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Do you build your own coils

• Nope..Don't really care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VapeBoxer

Administrator
Staff member
So the title says it all i guess. I seriously suck at building coils, and i usually just take it over to my buddy and he hooks me up. So i did a super easy search and the first thing that pops up is vapingcheap. So here's what they have to say about building coils, and they are actually talking bout the best vape coil builds. The good thing about the world we live in today if you don't know how to do something just google it. o_O

Best Coils for Flavor: For a Flavorful Vaping Experience

I have been trying different RDA coil builds and wire configurations for a while now in an attempt to get the best performance out of my RDA coils. I have had a difficult time deciding which is my all time favorite, so I have listed my four current favorites. That being said, here they are and why:

The Tidal Wire

The Tidal wire when being installed should have the natural grooves of the wire line up to get a more even coil.

The tidal wire I found on Twisted Messes You Tube channel, and once I wrapped it for myself it has been a staple in my RDAs. It consists of four strands of 32 gauge Kanthal A1, and one strand of .8mm ribbon wire.

The 32 gauge Kanthal is twisted together, and then the ribbon wire is reverse twisted over the Kanthal. This opens up the twists of Kanthal creating a “wave” like appearance. The gaps in the regular Kanthal provide heat quickly to ribbon wire providing a dense and very flavorful vapor from your RDA coils.

When installing this coil, I opt to not torch it first, leaving the spring in the coil. Once it’s installed I can adjust to line up more precisely, and in return I get a faster ramp up, and immediate vapor. When reverse twisting the ribbon wire around the Kanthal, it is important to watch it and not go by feel.

Once the wire has twisted all of the way through you will notice that there isn’t any more movement within the wire. Twisting past this point will result in kinks

The Clapton Coil

The "Clapton Coil" installed on the Plume Veil V2.

I found the The Clapton Coil on Rip Trippers You Tube channel, and have loved it ever since I installed it. The Clapton coil is 30 gauge Kanthal wrapped around a single strand of 28 gauge Kanthal.

This vape coil is probably the best coil for flavor as it provides a very flavorful vapor, and decent density within vapor production. The advantage of this set up is that the wire when saturated with juice has channels for the juice to seep into providing incredible flavor.

When wrapping the 30 gauge around the 28 gauge, starting the drill off slowly will provide a good rhythm for the wraps. You will feel the 30 gauge start to fall into place as you speed up the drill. Don’t worry too much about the first half inch, or inch of wire,

I usually write this off as getting the wire lined up properly. It is difficult to learn, however once you can wrap the Clapton you can experiment with your own variations of it.

The Flat Bastard Coil

The Flat Bastard coil will line up pretty easily for installation, the flat ribbon wire wrapped around the Kanthal provides amazing flavor and surface area.

This is another best coil for flavor that can be found on Rip Trippers’ You Tube. This is two strands of 32 gauge Kanthal twisted together, with .5mm ribbon wire wrapped around the 32 gauge Kanthal.

The advantage of this particular coil build, like with the Tidal Wire, is the flat ribbon wire. It produces incredible flavor, but doesn’t heat up very quickly on its own. The Flat Bastard coil has the advantage of the twisted 32 gauge on the inside providing intense heat very quickly.

When wrapping the ribbon wire around the twisted 32 gauge the process is very similar to wrapping a Clapton coil. Easing in to the speed of the drill is important, and once you have your rhythm down it is really smooth going.

The Tiger Coil

The Tiger Coil when installed is difficult to get the wraps touching, this is not a problem as far as performance is concerned.

This is yet another RDA coil tutorial that can be found on Rip Trippers You Tube channel. This in comparison is much easier to twist, and build than the other coils so far. One strand of 30 gauge Kanthal and one strand of .8mm ribbon wire are required for this build.

Both strands are inserted into the drill bit, with the 30 gauge bisecting the ribbon wire. When twisted together the ribbon wire folds over the Kanthal and uses the heat from the Kanthal to cut down on ramp up. The flavor from this coil is very good,

I found the vapor production was good, but I wanted more, so I added to it with the coil listed below.

A Variation of the Tiger coil
I took two strands of 30 gauge Kanthal and two strands of .5mm ribbon wire. I set these into my drill bit with one strand of 30 gauge sandwiched with ribbon wire, and the last strand of 30 gauge on the outside. The extra ribbon wire provided more juice channels, and the extra Kanthal provided more heat. The vapor from this coil explodes off of the coil, and is very dense and flavorful. When twisting all of these wires together tension with your no drill hand is key, ensuring that all strands are twisting together in unison. You will see the flat ribbon wire form the juice channels while the regular Kanthal twists together.

All of the above listed coil builds can be substituted to fit your particular needs, however the concepts behind the coils remain the same. The more juice that can be trapped inside of the coil, and converted to vapor quickly makes for a dense flavorful vape.

With the above wires, all of these coils stay above .5 ohms. However this is not a substitute for not double-checking your coil resistance before firing it in your RDA. I run most of these coils in single coil to get the most out of my vape.

I have also found that vapor production is on par with most standard dual coils. With how expensive juices are, I think we can all agree that getting the best of both worlds is important when selecting a coil build.

The best part of building your own vape coils is the ability to customize them to your own preference. Coil builds have become a hobby of mine, and these RDA builds stay in my RDAs more often than standard coil builds.

Whether you want to wrap super low ohm coils, single, dual, quad coil, the choice is yours. My experiences with these coils, is that the coil touches on every aspect of vapor production from flavor to density, to heat.

I also enjoy these coils because they are very good with keeping your wick from burning. The fact that most of these coils carry juice within the wire prevents the loathsome dry hit.

This is one of those super duper all in one articles that i'm sure you don't have to do the research and testing on. HAHA. Good job guys!